Having a pet in your life can be a rewarding experience.
When you decide to get a pet you have to remember that it is a big responsibility and adopting a pet is a lifetime commitment. Animals are not something you go out and get on a whim and then just discard when you decide all of a sudden you don’t want to be bothered with them anymore.
They are living creatures, who also have feelings and they rely on us as their caretakers to be responsible enough to take proper care of them for the rest of their lives.
February is Responsible Pet Owner Month. This is a reminder that as a pet parent you should be a responsible owner, not just this month, but all the time. The following are some things you should be doing as a responsible pet owner:
• Schedule regular vet visits. It’s important to keep up on your pets health as well as vaccinations and parasite prevention.
• Feed your pet a well-balanced and nutritious diet. Different pets need different diets, and it is important that you know what type of food and how much is right for your pet. Also make sure they have clean, fresh water available.
• Make sure your pet has ID tags or a microchip. Proper identification can help ensure that they get home safe and sound if they should ever get lost.
• Pet-proof your home. Because dogs and cats are curious by nature, there is always the possibility that they’ll get into something they shouldn’t. Be aware of plants and chemicals that are toxic to your pets and make sure they cannot get to them.
• Spay and neuter your pets. When your pet is spayed and neutered they can live healthier, longer lives. This will also prevent unwanted pregnancies that add to the overpopulation in shelters.
• Daily exercise and activity are good both physically and mentally for your pet. Appropriate exercise and mental stimulation for your pet will help keep them healthy and happy.
• Teach Children to Respect Animals. Always supervise young children around dogs and cats. Teach children the proper way to approach and greet a dog or cat.
• Love your pet! They rely on you to take care of them and love them, you are the most important thing in the world. Give them the love and attention that they need and deserve because they love you unconditionally.
If you are looking for a cat or dog to add to your home, stop in at the Humane Society of Rome, 6247 Lamphear Road. They have many wonderful animals who are waiting to meet you and maybe go home with you.